Have you heard of “Tiny Buddha?”
Lori Deschene, the creator of the website and the entire online empire is an AWESOME example of someone who used her authenticity to create an amazing online presence.
I love this advice from an interview she gave in an interview.
What would you tell people who want to build an audience online to focus on?
I suggest focusing on the following, in this order:
- Create quality content. People enjoy and share articles that help, inspire, motivate or entertain them. Putting your heart into your writing is the first and most important step.
- Be consistent with your online presence. Your blog posts, tweets, Facebook updates, and guest posts all contribute to the associations’ people make with your name. Building your “brand” in that way is part of building your audience.
- Leverage your network to get your content out there. Link it to your email signature; tell people on Twitter; share on Facebook, and stumble on StumbleUpon.
- Get help from people who have done what you would like to do. You may have some expertise, be it with writing, social media, or otherwise, but odds are you could stand to improve in some area of building your online presence. Email or tweet people who have done what you’d like to do. Seek a mentor or coach if you’re able. It’s a lot easier to work smarter (not harder) when you stay open to new knowledge—especially from people who are already walking the path
- And lastly, realize no audience is too small. (Note from TekMiss: This is my FAVORITE ONE!!) Any time you help or inspire someone—whether online or in your everyday life—you’ve made a meaningful difference in the world. That’s something to celebrate.
YOU TOO can build a following if you:
Are passionate about your message to the world.
Are consistent and persistent with your posts, tweets, blogs, and any other online channel you LOVE to use.
Share like the whole world is listening and that they all care!
Know that you WILL help people and make an impact. Never doubt it!
Let me know if you have something you’d like to share with the world! I’d love to help.